Monday, February 28, 2011

Review: Seche Vite quick dry top coat

Hello! 

Today's post is going to be about Seche Vite quick dry top coat. I happen to own this so I can tell you about my experience. It claims to be

  • Long-wearing (not actually true in my opinion- I have peeling issues- and YES I have applied it correclty- still get the peeling on the 3rd day or so)
  • Quick dry (YES that is true! :) )
  • UV protection (non-yellowing) TRUE
  • Chip- and peel-resistant (NO WAY :D Then I must have the wrong seche vite which I strongly doubt in)
  • Self-levelling (TRUE)
  • No streaking or dragging over nail art (TRUE) This means ridges, small polishing gaffes, and shaky application is remedied by the product itself, as it creeps across the surface of the nail and settles evenly, every time.


From the Seche website:

“Seche Viteâ„¢ is unique in its application over wet nail polish. Make sure there is a nice bead at the end of the brush before application over wet nail polish as it must be applied thick, but not too thick.
Apply thickly, get a nice bead on the end of the brush, then set softly down on the first nail painted and watch how Seche Vite flows over the wet nail polish self levels and will not drag or streak the underlying manicure. It takes time to master the application and when perfected it is possible to apply in only three strokes…keep trying. Seche Vite will naturally thicken so make sure to keep the neck of the bottle clean and tight at all times and if it gets stringy add a few drops of Seche Restore and roll the bottle slowly adding additional drops until consistency is fully restored.”

AND: One big downside is that it contains toluene.

From wikipedia: Toluene, formerly known as toluol, is a clear, water-insoluble liquid with the typical smell of paint thinners.Toluene should not be inhaled due to its health effects. Low to moderate levels can cause tiredness, confusion, weakness, drunken-type actions, memory loss, nausea, loss of appetite, and hearing and color vision loss. These symptoms usually disappear when exposure is stopped. Inhaling high levels of toluene in a short time may cause light-headedness, nausea, or sleepiness. It can also cause unconsciousness, and even death.

So I guess that seche vite is good when you want to dry your nailpolish quickly, but you must do it in a well ventilated room! ;) I tried again with OPI and china glaze holographic top coat to make sure that the cause is not my nails and with them my nail polish stayed on better- no peeling issues. Had some chipping on fingers that I use the most (index fingers and right thumb nails). Hahaa.. so that's why it is peeling: Seche Vite may not play nice with the chemicals in some Big 3-Free polishes. (China glaze and OPI does not contain formaldehyde ,dibutyl phthalate (DBP) nor  toluene). So it is not my favorite, but I will use it sometimes when I am in a real hurry. :)

How do use it:
  1. Do your nail design.
  2. Get a decent bead of Seche Vite on the end of the brush 
  3. Place the bead in the middle of the first nail you polished WHILE IT IS STILL WET-ish
  4. Use the tip of the brush to drag or comb through the bead, helping the polish spread but not letting the brush bristles touch the nail polish below
  5. Seche Vite will spread across the nail bed and self-level.

Thank You! And I hope you found some new information reading this post! :) 

1 comment:

  1. Quote from kschmiddy in makeupalley:

    -3-Be careful not to get it on your actual skin or cuticles however, because in that case it will adhere to your skin and peel off later. (Or if you do, wipe it off fast) Believe me, I know this is why people complain that it peels - because they got it on the skin around their nail. Apply it to the nail only and it will not peel.

    -4-Also, make sure to coat the tip of your nail well and "wrap around" with SV if you can because SV likes to recede back from the tip a little bit and will "pull" your nail polish with it sometimes if you don't apply it right. I actually haven't had the receding polish problem with it because I was aware of it from the start and always wrapped the tips of my nails.

    ReplyDelete